Pages

Monday

Struggling through


Today, I will be struggling through.

At the risk of sounding like a hypochondriac great auntie, "my health" has "taken a turn for the worse" (golly, next I'll be sending off for some Butter Menthols and a mug of Horlicks!). 

The badness of health began yesterday, and poor Tiger had the most dreary and dull day she has ever experienced in her tiny life. Stories were told in a voice that made Alan Rickman's seem hyperactively enthusiastic. Songs lyrics were changed to "I'm so sick, sick, can I go to bed?" (Baa baa black sheep) and "In the lounge room, the chilly lounge room, the mummy sleeps today ... please?".

"Play time" consisted of Cackle Mummy lying on the floor and passing Tiger rattles or, more often, putting rattles just out of reach and saying, "Come on, Tiges, you can roll that far. Mummy is too tired".

Our daily dance around the living room was less dance party and more "dinner dance at the local retirement home".

No wonder Tiger was excited to see Daddy Bear at the end of the day.

And today I feel a little bit worse.

So the wombat in Diary of a Wombat was much more laid-back than usual. Scarface Claw was a docile pussy cat. Koala Lou didn't really care much if she made it to the top of the gum tree or not.

And yes, I feel like the worst mother of all time, but I don't know what else to do, apart from struggle through.

And be grateful for the fact that my Tiger seems to have an innate intuition for when I feel less than my best and becomes even more delightful. I am so lucky that, even when Cackle Mummy is doing the worst job ever, my girl is quite ridiculously lovely.

~ Love, Miss Cackle

2 comments:

Travellin' Penguin said...

You and your Tiger will be climbing to the tops of gum trees again in no time. You can't feel perfect all of the time! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Mum's have a right to be sick too! - Babies and Children survive in 3rd world countries, I am sure Tiger will survive too without enthusiastic songs and dancing. I remember getting the flu with number 1 child about 6 months old. All I could do was lie in bed and put him in the crib, playpen beside the bed. It worked and I am sure he knew he was so good. Look after yourself too - or you won't get better quickly.

Post a Comment