Pages

Thursday

FFS Friday (Plus My Top Reads and Listens for 2012)


 I thought I had nothing to FFS about this week.

Sure, I was sick, but you must all be utterly weary of hearing about that (I do moan, don't I?). Plus, the shining parts of this week far outweighed the erky parts.

That is, until this morning, when I received my daily blog update from the wonderful Poppy S. Usually, these posts lift my spirit. Today, notsomuch.

You see, today, Poppy S blogged his top movies of 2012.

This is something Poppy S and  I have both done since I was a teenager. We rate our favourites throughout the year and compile them into lists to exchange as the year draws to a close.

During the time I worked at The Arty Movie Place, it was all I could do to narrow my list to a top twenty, with honourable mentions.

But this year ...

This year I have not watched a single movie.

FFS

For the first five months of 2012, I was pregnant and in too much pain to sit up for the two hour duration of a cinema trip.

And then ...

This is where this post turns into a Not Really FFS post. Because the reason I've watched no films in the second half of 2012 is that I have a far more entertaining and wondrous diversion right here in my own home.

Her name is Tiger. And I would gladly not watch another movie for the rest of time, in exchange for one of her cuddles or smiles.

Also, 2012 has been a wonderful year in books and music, and these pleasures have replaced movies as my top hobbies.

So, without further ado, here are my top reads and listens of 2012:

Books
  1. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore – Robin Sloan
  2. Bright's Passage – Josh Ritter
  3. Friday Brown – Vikki Wakefield
  4. The Fault In Our Stars – John Green
  5. Let It Snow – John Green, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson
  6. Every Day – David Levithan
  7. Holier Than Thou – Laura Buzo
  8. Wonder – RJ Palacio
  9. The FitzOsbornes At War – Michelle Cooper
  10. Welcome To Normal – Nick Earls

    Music

  1. Museum – Ball Park Music
  2. Take The Crown – Robbie Williams
  3. Babel – Mumford and Sons
  4. Bringing In the Darlings – Josh Ritter
  5. The Sound of the Life of the Mind – Ben Folds Five
  6. Spirit Bird – Xavier Rudd
  7. The Winter I Chose Happiness – Clare Bowditch
  8. The Best Imitation Of Myself – Ben Folds
  9. Born and Raised – John Mayer
  10. Love Interruption – Jack White

Tiger would like to add her top picks, which are as follows

Books
  1. Diary of a Wombat - Jackie French   
  2. Christmas Wombat - Jackie French
  3. Hairy MacLary From Donaldson's Dairy - Lynley Dodd
  4. There's a Hippopotamus On Our Roof Eating Cake - Hazel Edwards
  5. Growl Like a Tiger - Alison Lester
  6. Each Peach Pear Plum - Janet and Allan Ahlberg
  7. Who Sank the Boat? - Pamela Allen
  8. Pete the Sheep - Jackie French
  9. Sebastian Lives in a Hat - Thelma Catterwell
  10. Forever Young - Bob Dylan
Music
  1. Up All Night - One Direction 

Don't judge her. She's only a baby.  

And sharing books and music with my little girl - and Poppy S - is worth missing out on All Of The Movies.

It's one of the loveliest things in my life.

~ Love, Miss Cackle x

PS. For some ACTUAL FFS Friday, please pay http://www.dearbabyg.com/ a visit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment