Pages

Monday

Robbie and the Tiger



My dear friend (and one of Tiger's many Not Actual Aunties), Auntie RJ and I used to argue over who was the bigger Robbie Williams fan.

Auntie RJ's claim to the title was that she was a bigger Take That fan than I was - she had scrapbooks!

I argued that, since Robbie was my favourite member of Take That, I was the winner of Biggest Bobliever on the North West Coast.

Fifteen years on, we both still love the singer Poppy S fondly calls "The Plonker" (long story) and, over the past few days, I've been introducing my little girl to the wonders of Williams.

Before anybody has a coniption over me introducing Tiger to the sugary pop of Mr W (and *coughs* The Spice Girls and Katy Perry and ... ohnoes One Direction), please be assured that she is getting a most catholic musical education. Husband Bear is a huge metal fan, so car trips are sound-tracked not by The Wiggles but by Pain of Salvation, Sonata Arctica, Eluveitie and Wintersun.

Cackle Mummy is also a huge country fan, so Tiger is already familiar with Josh Ritter, Willie Nelson, Alan Jackson and Blake Shelton. CM also loves indie pop, so Ben Folds Five and Ball Park music are often playing during Tiger Wriggles.

But, for the past few days, it's been All About Bob and his stellar new album, Take The Crown.

While Tiges wiggles and jiggles, we don't play the sickly lullabies that come with her playmat. Instead, we listen to Candy and Hey Wow Yeah Yeah (as deliciously inane as it sounds).

While we snuggle, we listen to Different and Be a Boy. We are confused together by the lyrics to Into the Silence (misheard at first as "into the salad").

And there's something wonderful about spending time with my little girl, listening to the music I listened to as a child and teenager; the music I listened to with my precious friend who has just become a mother herself for the first time (and has Candy as her ringtone).

There is something "Circle of Life-ish" about it.

And when Tiger is older, no doubt she will spurn metal and country and even The Bob, and shock Husband Bear and Cackle Mummy with her musical tastes (please no RnB or electronica!!!), just like we shocked our parents, but that's perfectly fine.

That's the way it's meant to be. And it's just lovely.

~ Love, Miss Cackle

0 comments:

Post a Comment