Pages

Saturday

One wedding and a Tiger!




“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” 

Yesterday, I took Tiger to her very first wedding. She dressed up in her very finest dress and hat, and her little socks that look like shoes. I wiped her face and her fluffy little hands and we stepped out into the sunlight.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 

The wedding was in Hadspen, a little drive away from the candy pink house. Tiger spent the drive looking out the window at Sheep! and Paddocks! and Trees! and Alpacas! Her little head whipped from side-to-side, taking it all in and smiling.
And then we were there. We found some friends with other babies for Tiger to stare at, and we watched the lovely ceremony.

Well, I watched the lovely ceremony.

Tiger stared up at a tree in wonder.

And then I stared up at the tree in wonder too.

I wonder if she was seeing fairies.

“It's opener, out there, in the wide, open air.” 

But then I was brought back into the moment, when one of the bridesmaids gave a reading from Dr Seuss - Oh The Places You'll Go.

“Out there things can happen, and frequently do, To people as brainy and footsy as you. And when things start to happen, don't worry, don't stew. Just go right along, you'll start happening too!” 

And, despite my worries that she'd get bored and restless, Tiger smiled and giggled. And then, after the ceremony, she fell asleep in my arms. And she woke and she charmed everyone with her big blue eyes again. And I congratulated the bride and groom, and Tiger did too.

“Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away!” 

And then, again, she fell asleep in my arms and we stood in a sunbeam and danced, by ourselves, to some songs we liked and some we didn't, but we didn't care because we were dancing together.

"There is fun to be done!"
 
And, throughout the whole day, I felt nothing but blissful love. Weddings are always an emotional experience but never have I attended one carrying my whole heart in my arms, in a pretty blue dress sewn by Grandma V. Never have I known, so concretely, what love actually is.

I love my girl. She is my world. And yesterday, I was so in awe of her.

“Kid, you'll move mountains.” 

Kid, you're just unbelievably lovely.
~ Love, Miss Cackle

1 comments:

Post a Comment