Pages

Tuesday

On Child Care and Well Meaning Strangers



Yesterday, I was asked by a Well Meaning Stranger (WMS) when I am going to put Tiger in child care.

It's not the first time I've been asked this. It seems to be a common assumption these days that mums will return to work at some stage, often before their little ones have started school. I always have to consider my answer carefully. You never know exactly what the questioner's own circumstances might have been; whether they put their own child in care or not. I usually say "I don't plan to put Tiger in child care, but I fully support mothers who do! I'm just not qualified at any job that would cover the child care fees!"

It's part of the truth. My wages in former jobs as a bookseller and barista probably wouldn't justify the cost of putting her in care. 

Usually, people leave it at that - they take my answer as being the whole truth and they move on to asking me whether Tiger is on solids and if she's walking yet.

But yesterday, the WMS took it further. "Don't you think that's a bit selfish?" she (why is it always a "she"?), asked.

I have to admit I was a bit gobsmacked. Selfish? How was my decision to be a full-time parent a selfish one?*

"I mean, keeping her all to yourself? Preventing her from interacting with other kids?"

Now I was speechless. Floored. Because I had no answer for that one. I'd really not considered that angle before. And, I have to admit, the whole truth of why I want to parent Tiger full-time IS a selfish one. I miss her when I'm away from her even half an hour. Whole days? Unthinkable.

But am I damaging her by making that selfish decision? SHOULD she be interacting more with other kids, and developing independence away from me?

What do you think? Was the WMS right? AM I selfish?

~ Love, Miss Cackle x

* I am not in any way suggesting here that being a working mum or dad is selfish either. As I always say, you do what works best for your family. I was put in child care at a young age, my husband was not. Neither of us suffered from this. I loved day care (we were allowed to eat small packets of chips and play Alex Kidd - win!). My husband loved making honey with his mum. Both alternatives work!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect! Kindergarten in Australia

Marikit Decena said...

Well, concern and worry will always be there once your child starts going to school. We have to trust them with complete strangers. And as they grow older, we do learn the value of trusting our kids to make smart choices in the midst of strangers.
Philippine Prudential

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

There are many gifts that you can give to children that are actually for the parents. These baby bath gift sets are those types of gifts. They make bath time fun for the kids but they actually make bath time easy for the parents.

If you’ve have ever had to bathe an infant, it can be a very hair raising experience; especially if you don’t have the correct tools. With these bath time gift sets, bath time is easy and it’s fun for the child. So if you are looking for a non-traditional gift, one that’s not just toys, then you should go for the bath time set. The child, and the parents, will absolutely love it.
baby

Laurena said...

Being a mom is a very wonderful thing at the same time very overwhelming. Mothers would do anything for their child, we always wanted the best for our child. However,all preschool centers would really claim to be the perfect preschool but for me everything should start at home. I consider quality childcare when they practice the basic tradition that the parents taught at home, and I guess everybody has the same basic tradition. So, it won't be difficult for the educators to deal with the kids.

hillslittle said...

Hi, this blog is really amazing and provide me answers to all my questions On Childcare Blacktown.This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. I got the freebies with the ComLuv premium and adding this now makes it all even juicier than ever.

hillslittle said...

Excellent Share! An exciting dialogue is well worth comment. I think you ought to compose much more on this matter, it may well not be considered a taboo issue but typically individuals usually are not enough to speak on this sort of topics.childcare

honest company reviews said...

I love these improved baby diapers. The old version had only one problem - the unadjustable waist. Now they have fixed it and they feel very similar to the more expensive ones! Perfect for my baby, never a leak.

Post a Comment