Pages

Monday

Affleck, the Oscars and getting back up



Usually, The Oscars is a Very Big Deal for me. 

I studied acting. I love film. I REALLY Love awards ceremonies and I am a SUCKER for a good musical number.

Most years, before now, I've put a total ban on any sort of media during the day, so I can watch at night with no spoilers. It used to be pretty easy, in the days before social media, when all I had to do was avoid the radio and TV news bulletins.

Now, with Twitter and Facebook, it's near impossible to miss the winners. Luckily, this year, I knew I wouldn't be watching, so this Live Tweeting and Blogging was actually really fun to catch up with during Tiger's naps.

I did catch the very end of the ceremony, breaking my "no TV on while Tiger is awake" rule for only the second time (the first being the Grand Final).

What I saw moved me to tears. And yes, I know, I cry at Huggies ads on TV but ... Oh Golly Gosh, Ben!!!

His speech made me sob. Especially this quote: "It doesn't matter if you get knocked down in life. All that matters is that you gotta get back up."

Lately, life has knocked me down a few times with a Very Big Stick. And I like to think I've not let it beat me. I like to think I've kept on keeping on: writing, mothering, wife-ing and just, generally, living.

When Tiger is older, I do want to watch The Oscars with her. Not just because it's fun watching the pretty frocks, but because - behind all the ostentatious glitz - there is a message that resonates with me: That the arts are important, that they are worth celebrating, that it may not be rocket science or brain surgery, but a wonderful film or book or piece of artwork can elevate us from the gloom and blackness. It can save a life.

And, occasionally, there is a speech like Mr Affleck's that contains a gem of wisdom. "Just keep on getting back up" might not exactly be Plato or Socrates. It might be "Life 101", but it's a message I want Tiger to take to heart as she gets older.

I want her to be (like the best animation winner) Brave.

And I hope I can model it for her.

I hope I can keep on keeping on. I have faith I can, because my little girl needs me to. And she is lovely.

And jeepers, isn't Ben Affleck too? Oh golly gosh, the man is GORGEOUS. 

But Tiger and I won't watch The Oscars for the eye candy, obviously ... *

~ Love, Miss Cackle x

* We may watch it a little bit for the eye candy. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment