Pages

Tuesday

I have a confession ...



I have a confession to make.

I am a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLEhousewife.

I had the best of intentions. Long before I ever fell pregnant with Tiger, even before I got married, really, when I first moved into a house of my (rented) own, I had lofty goals of being a Nigella-esque Domestic Goddess. I know it's not very "feminist" of me, but I always liked the idea of swanning around in an apron, baking and dusting and generally being feminine and maternal.

Of course, I would follow my dreams as well. I could be a writer AND the ultimate Queen Of Homemakers. Maybe I'd even write about the awesomeosity of my homemakerness.

Of course, this didn't happen. I did become a writer, and I did TRY to be Nigella ...

But I soon discovered I burn water.

And I loathe vaccuuming.

And put a toilet brush in my hand and I go "erk" and drop it.

I forgot about my dreams of domestic bliss for eight or so years, until Tiger came about. My grand ambitions reared their Preen-and-Domestos-ed heads again. While Tiger slept, I would DUST and POLISH and SCRUB and BAKE THINGS and Tiger would have the Best Mother Of All Time.

Of course, all of this was before I realised I had a baby who would only sleep on top of me in the daytime.

So, while Tiger sleeps, now I cuddle her.

And when she's awake?

Like Hell I'm going to waste those precious hours polishing ANYTHING.

When she's awake, we play and read and sing and sometimes just be together.

And I have decided I am not destined to be a Domestic Goddess after all. I'm destined to be Tiger's mum. Not Nigella. Not those "how to clean stuff book writer people". Just me.

And I think Tiger is happy with that.

So, for me, that's just got to be enough. And it is. It's lovely.

~ Love, Miss Cackle x

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lightning bolt flash came to me about a week ago, I'm about to have my first child turn ten. That means in another 7 years he will be driving off into the sunset on his own holidays. He will not want his Mum around for holidays etc. That means I have spent more than half of my special 'childhood time' with him. WOW what a revelation that was for me. So my resolution for this year. More people and family time, less house work time. More adventures together, less take home office work time. More loving hugs, kisses and book reading together, less growling and forcing to tidy up rooms etc.

It really is so short a time that we have our kids close by our side. So Pooh to the cleaning, washing and everything else. I agree with you just 'be' and 'be together'

Have Fun.

Post a Comment