Pages

Monday

Ring, Ring!

Today, Tiger called her Daddy.

Literally.

She picked up my smartphone, pressed a couple of buttons and, suddenly, I could hear the voice of her very confused father down the line, obviously bemused at having been called at work by his ten month old daughter.

Yep. Tiger is TEN MONTHS OLD and she can call her dad. This having never used a mobile before in her little life. In fact, I spend half my life trying to keep her AWAY from the phone. She is OBSESSED.

I got my first mobile when I was seventeen. It was a hand-me-down Nokia, from my mum, approximately the size of Brazil. 

It had a grey and black screen. It made calls. Full stop. It didn't even SMS. I remember when I got a phone that had a BLUE screen instead of a grey one. That phone was FANCY! 

Plus it had Snake. Oh holy macaroni I loved Snake.

A later mobile advertised that you could buy a camera attachment. Because phones back then didn't come with cameras. The idea that a PHONE could HAVE A CAMERA? 

Blew my mind.

Until I was seventeen, see, people used landlines. And many of the landlines I'd used in my life still had actual dials that you spun around with a finger.


First time I used a touch screen? "WHAT ACTUAL SORCERY IS THIS?" I thought.



Today, my ten month old called her father.

A part of me is weeping. A part of me is marvelling. Who knows what kind of phone Tiger will have when she's seventeen? One that sends holograms to the receiver? One that can send chocolates through the screen, in the manner of Willy Wonka?

I have only one hope for Tiger's first mobile:

It should definitely have Snake.

Snake. Is. Lovely.

 ~ Love, Miss Cackle x

0 comments:

Post a Comment